How can we help?
We are based in Boston Spa, but offer comprehensive independent pension advice to clients across the UK. Here are some examples of what we offer, and what the costs involved might be.
Defined benefit pension transfer advice (click here for full details)
- We will provide a free assesment of whether a transfer may be in your interests. If we recommend a transfer then we will provide an FCA-regulated full advice service, including helping you understand all the pros and cons of a transfer. We will also help you select a SIPP provider and design a portfolio of investment funds.
- Cost: No cost if no transfer occurs. If a transfer occurs then our advice fee varies with the size of the transfer value - see our dedicated DB pension transfer page using the link above.
Advice on consolidating "defined-contribution" pensions
- If you are considering consolidating your existing money-purchase pension pots into one scheme we will provide a free assesment of whether this in your interests or not. In some cases consolidating pensions can result in you paying higher charges or losing valuable guarantees and we will help you avoid this. We will then, where appropriate, provide ongoing advice on the investments held within your pensions.
- Cost: No cost for initial assessment. If we transfer/consolidate one or more of your pensions then our transfer advice charge varies with the size of the pension value. Our charge typically ranges from 1% of the fund value for smaller pensions down to 0% for large pensions where we are going to provide ongoing advice.
Advice on what investments to hold within an existing pension
- If you are concerned that the funds (or equities) that you hold within your pension may be too risky, or not risky enough, or too expensive, then we can help. We will assess your existing investments, ask you about your appetite for risk and your ability to withstand losses, and design a suitable portfolio for you. We will then provide ongoing advice, with regular performance reports and recommendations on when to switch funds as stockmarkets rise and fall.
- Cost: No cost for initial assessment and no initial cost for taking on the role of adviser on your existing pensions. The annual ongoing cost of our advice ranges from 0.2% of assets to 0.5% of assets, depending on the size of the funds involved.
Retirement income planning
- If you are about to retire, or already have, and want to know how best to use your pensions to secure your income in retirement, we can help. We will ask you about how much risk you are happy to take with your retirement income, and what your spending needs are, and then make recommendations as to whether you should use "flexible access drawdown", a "lifetime annuity" or a "fixed term annuity" (or a combination of these) to achieve your aims.
- Cost: No cost for initial assessment. If we arrange an annuity then the initial charge typically ranges from 0.5% to 1.5%. If we arrange income drawdown then the initial charge ranges from 0% to 1%.
Why choose Harris Independent Financial Advice?
Matthew has worked in the pensions industry for more than twenty years, and has been responsible for investing pension assets worth over a billion pounds on behalf of clients during his time at companies such as Standard Life and Scottish Widows. He works closely with Wendy Cochran, a Wetherby based IFA. He is a Chartered Financial Planner, and holds qualifications in pension planning at advanced level via the Chartered Insurance Institute and Personal Finance Society, as well as being an Associate of the CFA Society of the UK. With pensions regulations constantly changing he also ensures that he keeps up to speed via regular study, industry forums, and continuous professional development. Most importantly Matthew and Wendy can offer you a friendly, intelligent and responsive service, as reflected in the testimonials of existing clients.
What do our customers say? (click here for all our customer testimonials)
"We had spent years fretting over our pension provision when we finally bit the bullet and contacted Matt. He came out to see us that week and expertly led us through all the issues that had been confusing us. We are now confident we are putting enough away each month to ensure a reasonably comfortable retirement." Iain and Kara Harrison
Could you get more than 60% tax relief on pension contributions?
An introduction to income drawdown
The new single tier state pension
Lifetime annuities still the right choice for many
Avoid pension scam calls